There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Nightmares Chase my Sleep


Nightmares Chase my Sleep

Sleep succumbs after an hour.
She sweetly slumbers, hardly.
Four drugs later, including anti-sickness to counteract the new one and we go down to come up, or is that go up to come down?

I wake in a sticky sweat and I remember.
I am hugely anxious. Did I forget to add up the wrong column? Who else got paid wrongly?
Many questions- not my fault. I didn’t do the last invoicing. Yet, why I am affected?
The corridors are like a maze, they are ingrained in my brain.
Everyone can see me as if I am naked.
I feel their eyes in the back of my head.
Persecuted.
Bang.

I am really worried now.
Gall swills at the back of my throat and my pyjamas are sticky with the beaded sweat of adrenaline.
I feel as if I am about to give a performance and I am more charged than a power station.

My heart is a race-horse where there is nowhere to bolt.
I am feverishly tossing and turning.
I wonder if I am going mad.
In the past this would have been a breakdown.

I get up to go somewhere else, but the memories follow me, haunting my every step.

Isobel Knight ©

No comments:

Post a Comment